The Grand Adventure

13 October 2006

nothing special...only memories

So it's about time for another - terribly grammatically incorrect - update...although this one may be even less interesting than most. At least at the end I'll post my latest workout results for y'all to laugh at (that should keep you reading through the end...)

Anyway, this week was quite boring. I went to class late everyday. Even if i left on time i still couldn't bring myself to walk in that door on time. It's just too boring. All i do these days in class is read my own book. I have realized that all the classes here are not truly intended to teach chinese, rather they are intended to prepare the Korean and Japanese kids for taking the HSK (the chinese equivalent of the TOEFL). Therefore, reading my book in class is far more interesting, and hopefully will prove to be far more beneficial to my studies.

Outside of class life is not too bad these days, just too relaxing and so i must find things to keep me busy...including cooking alot more, just taking random walks, running and working out in the cold, and of course...dare i say, shopping. Yes, unlike in the states i have found shopping here quite fun (except for shoes...see the next post), only because you get to bargain (argue) with people over the price...it's damn good speaking practice too! I actually went out and bought 2 sweaters and 2 lightweight jackets yesterday...i spent more time bargaining over the prices than i did looking at clothes.

Let me give a brief explanation to help you realize the bargaining situation and time scheme...minute 1: They give you a pretty high price which isn't entirely unreasonable, but you know it's high; min. 1.5: they see the look on your face and immediately discount the price 20-50%. minute 2-4: you pretend to ponder the quality of the item and start asking questions about where it's from and it's authenticity (even though by this second minute you know your gonna buy the damn thing anyway). minute 4-7: chat a little more and "become a good friend" and get the price down another 5% or so. Minute 7-15: you argue over the last few yuan...yesterday this eight minute period was spent arguing over 2yuan on a korean jacket that's made in china damn it! (I got the price 2yuan lower). minute 16-18 you chat a bit more get you items packaged to your liking take a name card and move on to you next targeted purchasing location. Yes this is just a rough breakdown...give or take a few minutes here and there :)

And finally went out with my classmates to an indian restaurant for lunch today, only to realize that i had a flood of memories come back and smack me in the back of the head...brining a tear to my eye which of course never fell. Indian food just may be my favorite food in the world...i have never actually had it in India of course, but it was my default food when i was sick of fast food in Singapore, and when i just wanted something different in Hong Kong. I remembered all of the nice Indian folks in Singapore's "little india"; who always hit me with that exta-spicy somethin' at my request, and all the scary looking Indian, Bangali, and Pakastani folks i met at Hong Kong's Changking Mansions (重庆大夏)...who turned out to some of the greatest people that i met travelling. I remembered how much fun (and sickness) i had while i was travelling over the summer...and blah blah blah... And so i leave you...with not a single picture (i may add one later at my discrestion)

Enjoy!


This weeks workout results (from wednesday)
Run: 16.04 min. (in my new shoes) (3 songs on the mp3)
squat jumps 5 sets of 10
pushups 7 sets of ten (various types) starting the finger tips and knuckles again
dead arm hang 12 secs (weak!)
chin ups: 2 sets of 3 (barely)
pull ups: 3 sets of 3
dips:2 sets of 10
sit ups: 20 minutes of (hardcore exercises from my sister's pilates routine)
horse:4:08 for wednesday....but just because i'm proud (骄傲必败。。。我知道,我知道)
12:08!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home